My First Impression of Japan
by Noah Castetter
One of the first things that I noticed in Japan is how quiet everyone is. All of the workers in the airport are always smiling. Before take off, the ground crew wait for the plane to back away from the gate, and then they bow and wave as we begin to taxi. Once again, they are smiling. Another major difference is that the people drive on the left side of the road and the driver's side is the passenger side in America. I love the machines. They have a vending machine that is dedicated to juice boxes! I wish we had vending machines like this! I have found lots of Magna in the shops in the airport and around town. They also have tons of Attack on Titan merchandise. The toilets are very different here than at home. They have heated seats! These are just a few things that are definitely different! It is awesome!
My thoughts of Japan
by Brennan Heath
I have noticed at my host home that my family does not waste any floor space. Every thing is on a shelf and the furniture is both chairs and storage. At night we put a pad on the Tatami to make our bed. I sleep on the floor! I really like it. The sun is up early here, which helps me to wake up in time for school. The shops here are have many cool things., I like the sport shops. The shoes come in many different colors than what we have in America. The shops do not have a lot of inventory as there is not much room, but you can custom order what you want. I look forward to exploring more stores during my stay!
Mr. Miya's Lesson
by Graham Beckwith
Mr. Miya visited our school in October. He works at the Board of Education and is the Sponsor for Japan with the Exchange Program. He was a teacher before he came to Amami. He had an excellent presentation for us on Friday. We all met at the Board of Education to study with Mr. Miya and learn what to expect in the schools when we begin to visit on Monday. Mr. Miya had a power point presentation where he asked us where Amami-Oshima,, Japan was located. We were able to answer correctly!. He told us how we are to sit in schools. We are not suppose to slouch in our chairs as that is considered rude and bad manners. If we yawn, we are to cover our yawn with our hand! We had to be reminded several times as we are tired from our travel to Amami. He taught us several phrases which we are incorporating into our school speeches. He taught us to say "Oshiete" which means Please teach me or I don't know. We taught Mr. Miya to be fierce! He is super nice and funny. He speaks very good English. We also have Ms. Megan who is ALT here and helps with translations.
Friday's Activities
by Chris Harkness
This morning we met at the Board of Education. Mr. Miya taught a lesson about what to do and not to do at the Japanese schools. When he finished his lesson, we then walked across the street to the City Hall where we met with the Amami City Mayor. The mayor presented us with a small gift and gave us his business card. We asked him a few questions like why did he want to become a mayor, was he elected, how long did he serve, and what did he enjoy as being mayor. He is beginning to serve his second term which is a length of 5 years. He enjoys meeting with different people who visit the city, and he wants to help Amami City to grow.
We then went downtown to eat lunch. The restaurant had many choices such as pasta, Omu-rice, hamburger, and other things. I chose pasta! It was amazing, and yes I ate it with chopsticks!. We then took a short trip to Mangrove Park where we went kayaking. We learned that the mangrove tree could grow in a combination of salt and fresh water. The yellow leaf that fell off the tree absorbed the salt from the water. We enjoyed the kayaking. We went back to the Board of Education building and met the Superintendent of Schools. Then it was time for us to go home to our host families. My family is very kind and fun. They also are a lot of fun. I am having a great time.
No comments:
Post a Comment